About the Center
Wokingham is a historic market city in Berkshire, England. It is 39 miles west of London, 8 miles north of Camberley, 4 miles west of Bracknell and 7 miles south-east of Reading. According to 2011 census, Wokingham had a population of 30,690. Before 1974 reorganisation of local government, Wokingham was a borough, and later it was merged with Wokingham Rural District to form new Wokingham district. Borough gained its status in 2007.
On the entrance of Town Hall, Arms of Wokingham Town Council is displayed. Northern Wokingham which is centred on Ashridge was a separate part of Wiltshire. This area expanded well into the town centre, the area where Dowlesgreen, Bean Oak Estates and Norreys are currently located until transferred to Berkshire in 1844. The Older parish was partitioned in 1894 into rural and urban civil parishes. Since 1998 this area has been a unitary authority area. It consists of 54 elected councillors and is managed by one councillor who is elected annually to become the chairman of the council. Elections for the council are held in three out of every four years, with the conservative party having majority since 2002 election. Offices of Borough Council are based at Shute End in Wokingham town. This council is elected every four years, and it comprises of twenty-five councillors that represent Norreys, Wescott, Evendons and Emmbrook. Every year one person is elected as mayor. The current town hall was constructed in 1860 on Guildhall site. Since 1987, Wokingham Constituency’s MP is John Redwood.
Wokingham has four state secondary schools. The emmbrook school is a coeducational school, computing and maths college. St Crispin’s School is also a coeducational school which is a computing and maths college. Forest School is a boys school which is an Enterprise and Business College. There are various Private Schools in Wokingham. In 1945 Holme Grange School was founded for boys and girls aged 3-16 years. At Luckley House in 1918, Luckley House School was established for girls of age group 11-18. In 1937 Ludgrove School moved to Wixenford House. The oldest school in Wokingham Borough is Reading Blue Coat School founded in 1666. It is a boys school until age 16 when it becomes mixed sixth form. Bluecoat is located in Sonning Village since 1946. The village of Sonning has been a catchment area of South Oxfordshire and Berkshire.