About the Center
Dereham also was known as East Dereham. It is a town and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. It is located on the A47 road, about 15 miles west of the city of Norwich and 25 miles east of King's Lynn. The civil parish has an area of 21.51 km. In the 2001 census, it had a total population of 15,659 in 6,941 households. Later the population raised to 18,609 according to 2011 census.
For local government, Dereham falls within and is the centre of administration for, the district of Breckland. This town should not be mixed up with the Norfolk village situated in West Dereham, which is 25 miles (approx 40 km) away.
In 1986 archaeologists discovered a Neolithic polished greenstone axe head near the town. Also, a flint scraper and other tools and worked flints were found in local fields during that time. There is proof that the area was occupied during the Bronze Age. Proofs are burnt flints from a potboiler site being found in 1976 and another burnt mound site situated in 1987.
Distinguished buildings in the town consist of the pargetted Bishop Bonner's Cottage, constructed in 1502 and the Norman parish church. Windmill was renovated in the year 2013 and a large mushroom-shaped water tower. There is also Gressenhall Museum of Rural Life is nearby. The town also hosts the HQ of the Mid-Norfolk Railway. It runs trains over an 11.5-mile railway track south to Wymondham. Also owning the line 6 miles north of North Elmham and County School Station.
Locate us on Map
Courses Scheduled at Dereham