About the Center
Located on the River Dee, close by the Welsh border, is the city of Chester. Founded by the Romans as “Castrum” or Deva Victrix in 79 AD during the reign of Emperor Vespasian, Chester got its city status only in 1541. Chester, with a number of buildings that belong to the medivial times, is the best preserved among the walled cities in Britain. The development of the city began with the Industrial Revolution which brought railways, canals and new roads to the city. Also, there are the Chester Town Hall and Grosvenor Museum, that stand as examples of Victorian architecture.
The history of Chester is mainly divided into four periods – Roman, Medivial , the Industrial Revolution and the Modern era.
During this time, Chester was established as a fortress to counter the attacks from the Irish Sea. It was also named as Deva owing to the name of the goddess Dee. Many theories suggest that Chester was initially the city of choice instead of Londonium (now London) for becoming the principal city of the Roman Province of Britannia Superior (what is now the United Kingdom).
After the withdrawl of the Roman troops, Chester became a part of Powys – one of the many kingdoms of Romano-British era.Chester was renamed as Deverdoeu in the 12th Century.Earlier it is also said to have been known as the “City of Legions”.
During the late 18th century, the Industrial Revolution was showing its effects in England and elsewehere. Chester was to play a significant role in the Industrial Revolution because of its market place and the railway station.
When the Second World War came to an end, Chester was already encountering housing problems. Farmland durings the 1950’s and 60’s were were developed as residential areas to form the suburb of Blacon. To take care of the traffic problems , a bypass was built in 1964 through and around the city centre.
- James Hamilton, Author of Children's Books
- Stuart Turner, Former Essex Cricketer
- Cornor Kostick, Writer and Historian
- Sir John Vanbrugh, Architect and Dramatist